I don’t think it is that easy.
Everyone needs both exclusive and inclusive Relationships to create a vibrant and thriving community.
- Dont judge.
- Dont exclude.
- Don’t be a clique.
- Dont hate.
Potential Reasons Why we RUN to inclusiveness.
- Some of us may have never felt accepted by the “cool” kids.
- Some of us may have been the fridge kids in the youth group.
- We see students going through the awkward stage….you went through the awkward stage!
- Some may have felt “on the outside”.
So we swing so far the other way that EVERYONE IS INCLUDED!
Examples of positive EXCLUSIVE Relationships.
- Not everyone is invited into my relationship with my wife all the time
- Not everyone is invited to private business meetings
- Not everyone is invited into counseling sessions beyond those needing counsel
- Not everyone is invited into …fill in the blank for your situation.
- My wife and I share a closer relationship.
- Our business team has greater intimacy and cohesion.
- Our counseling sessions are marked with greater trust and transparency.
When EXCLUSIVE relationships create GREATER INCLUSIVITY.
- Exclusive relationships lead to greater inclusiveness on the bigger scale.
- Exclusive relationship create a buzz that people want to be a part of.
- Exclusive relationships have energy.
- Exclusive relationships have inside jokes.
- Exclusive relationships have greater intimacy.
- Exclusive relationships have greater authenticity.
- TOO OBLIVIOUS: When those in exclusive relationships are not inviting others in because they don’t see the value that they are trying to build.
- TOO HURTFUL: When those on the inside gloat or intend to harm others by keeping them on the outside.
- TOO COMFORTABLE: WHen, not by intentional neglect, but the exclusive relationship becomes so strong that it is hard for anyone to break in.